Recently I have been hearing plenty of discussions regarding the “value” of Facebook likes, Real vs. Fake. As usual, the majority of what I hear is wrong so I decided to achieve this post to set things straight. Let me first start with explaining the main difference between a “real” like and a “fake” like. A so named “real” like is a like that is earned the “right” way… which means that the like was done with a real individual that found real value within your site or post or page or whatever and decided to give you kudos by “liking” it…
Now on to the “fake” like; the fake like is a like that is generated at all besides what I described above. You can find a multitudes of numerous ways to get a fake like, a lot of with this post, but here are some:
1. Purchase like packages on microjob sites like Fiverr.com; you can get a few hundred to a few thousand. These likes are more often than not generated having a bot (automated software package) that games Facebook security and erroneously adds dozens to 1000s of likes over days or weeks. The positive for this method is that it is cheap… the negative is the fact that bots can be sometimes be detected by Facebook security which can lead in your Facebook page being closed down. Recently Facebook announced it’s wants to ramp up detection, you can read a good article about it here.
2. Purchase likes coming from a microworker site. This method involves buying “credits” or “tokens” on sites like Welikehits.com. These websites allow you to setup an account along with your Facebook profile and then other individuals get credits by liking your page or sharing,etc. You pay between $5-$100 to purchase credits that you then “spend” when someone likes your page; you can buy several thousand credits for $10-$25 normally. The benefit of these websites is the fact real people who have real accounts are liking your page, not an automated script or bot… the negative is the fact that way these likes come to you is thru a gateway page with a set ip address… meaning that it is very easy for Facebook to share with these were bought, and so not count them.
Below are a few of the benefits of fake likes:
1. Use of Facebook Analytics. Facebook only allows you to the access the analytics part of your user interface AFTER you reach 30 likes. By getting fake likes, you can access your information faster.
2. Access to Facebook vanity URL. Facebook lets you possess a vanity URL only after you have 25 likes… the vanity URL is essential from the beginning, it enables you to have facebook/yourkeyword again, fake likes offers you use of this feature quickly.
3. Nobody desires to like a page which has zero likes… psychologically individuals are FAR more prone to click that like button if there are already several hundred or several thousand likes.
4. SEO value. Social signals are essential to SEO right now… some say just as much as 1/3 from the puzzle… regardless of what the number actually is, if you do SEO you KNOW that things like followers,likes, etc play an important role in gfhisr keywords on Google. Should you be not able to generate these social signals the “right” way, getting the fake ones is superior to nothing.